DAY THIRTEEN, part three: Moriarty, NM back to Albuquerque, NM
So the highway was closed. This caused a major difference in opinion in what to do next. I won. I’m sorry. I’m a bitch, but I want a hotel room tonight with a soft bed. I want a shower. I want to de-stress. I don’t want to sleep in another damn parking lot.
As we waited for the water tank to refill, I went online to try and find hotels. The connection was bad and getting a page to download on one of the hotel websites was torture.
Thanks to some of my friend Kim via facebook I have been able to see what we have been fortunate enough to avoid. The 100 mph winds in the Sierra Nevada. The rockslide at Yosemite. The accidents on I-40 that forced its closure.
I deleted the rest of the trip off of the GPS in order for it to give me the fastest route home. Sadly, it kept us on I-40. So I found a website for New Mexico’s road conditions, and after a painful wait it finally gave me the information I wanted. We are going to head back to Albuquerque, then south on I-25, then cut back over to Roswell and head home through Dallas again.
I gave up on my internet and texted my friend Susan to help me find a hotel off of I-25 south. As she searched we stopped at a couple of hotels near the highway closure. From the looks of the parking lots I knew we were out of luck. At the Comfort Inn, the guy in front of John got the last room.
Susan gave me a list of hotels and even a general vicinity of where to find them. She gave me phone numbers. I called one and we are on our way as I type.
I am so fortunate to have the friends I have. Trapped in a car for 2 weeks with family is rough. I mean, I love them, but it is so nice to have a link to the outside world. People can make fun of facebook or me texting all they want. It has been my link to sanity. And to each and every one of you who has helped me, heard from me, got sick of the infinite postings, or grown tired of your phone buzzing, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart, for keeping me grounded and reminding me of my blessings.
I’m obviously really tired. So I’m sappy. Tomorrow the new Griswold roadtrip “Homeward Bound” begins.
No comments:
Post a Comment